Old
08-17-2010, 11:34 AM
lightning_legwand*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
This isn't an unreasonable view, really, but some points to consider:

Offense:

This team is much, much deeper than last year. When we stumbled out of the blocks our call-up was....Dave Scatchard. And then Mike Santorelli. I don't know which of the new options will produce but our odds are much better IMO of finding one that will out of the deep mix now available.

Our PP can be much better and Lombardi, SK, a full year of Franson should help.

Wilson should be MUCH better this year.

I expect Legwand to improve on his dismal year. I think Hornqvist goes down by 10 goals so it may offset. I think Sully and Dumont could be better as well.

Our defense should have a bit more scoring potential with Hammer gone.

Defense:
I agree that the defensemen as a group are weaker and I'm not excited about relying on big Cube minutes or a group that includes Franson, Klien and Parent. Having said that, I think our team defense gets a substantial upgrade with Lombardi over Arnott. Our PK should be much improved. I also expect Josi to log substantial time and both he and Blum could prove to be rapid replacements for Hamhuis, who I think was not the loss you think he was.
Goaltending:
Pekka. We live and die by that. I think a full year of him far outstrips the combo of he and Ellis last year, regardless of the backup. If he is bad or hurt, who knows.

The thread is "Does this year feel different?" and it does b/c I think we have more upside and LESS questions. Remember, last year we had Sully perhaps unable to play, Horny who had proved nothing, two goalies that had yet to prove themselves as a starter, a defense that included a hurt CUBE, unproven KK, and a fight between three rookies.

In the prior year(s) we had upheaval, unproven players, player dumps, Rad's leaving, and a bare feeling cupboard.... plus we had to face Vern Fiddler as a potential top 6 forward and pretend we liked Greg Zannon's style of defense.

In short, you could be right and there are lots of question marks. I'm more optimistic because I see more overall potential going into this season than in the past several seasons. And LESS question marks (or more good answers).

I think Hamhuis will be very missed. I doubt Sk comes through the way we are all hoping, although it would be nice.

I just mean offense was a huge problem, so what did the offseason do? lose of Arnott and brought in a few guys who have never done more in the NHL than Santorelli or Scatchard for that matter (SK, Andersson) and Lombardi (who is far inferior offensively than Arnott).

I just dont get it. Why doesnt Poile upgrade offense rather than degrade??

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote