View Single Post
Old
08-19-2010, 10:16 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
Honestly, Zherdev is probably the most talented offensive threat on our roster right now. He may be a defensive liability and slightly lazy, but that doesn't matter on the PP, so why in the world would he not play on the PP?

JVR also does not have the experience (nor the strength) that Hartnell has as being the big idiot in front of the net screening the goalie, I would be extremely surprised to see him transplant him for that role.

You make a good point about his ice time upping even without PP time, but 19 ES minutes would likely lead the forward corps... I would expect 16 mins/night and 45 points with little PP time.

Didn't you all learn from your mistake last offseason when you assumed Giroux was a lock for 90 points?
Nah, not at all. Giroux would have been ok, but he was an awful lot like Briere when Briere first came to Philadelphia - he had a bunch of different linemates throughout the season and he also moved between all three forward positions. When Laviolette decided to leave Giroux at center, we all saw what happened. He might not be the biggest guy on the team, but give him some time and he'll be the best faceoff guy on the team.

With all the weapons at Laviolette's disposal, I can't see him not find a spot for JVR on one of the power play units. I think Laviolette is in a situation where he's going to have to run two units of four forwards and one defender for the first little while. Or, he might run it all year.

In terms of JVRs ice time, I can very easily see him get between 17 and 19 minutes per game if he's one of the top six forwards. And when you look on the left side, you've got JVR, Hartnell, Carcillo and Shelley. If Carcillo is given a top six role over JVR, then Laviolette needs to be fired. That's my reasoning for JVR having a huge boost in production. Let's not forget that he scored 35 points in less than 13 minutes per game. Boost his ice time by about four minutes and add in that this is his second season and a big jump should be in order.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote