View Single Post
Old
08-19-2010, 10:44 PM
tantalum

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
He's a decent spec but still a little raw. Likely needs at least a year in the American league. He just wanted too much money, he was looking for a contract similar to what Burke gave Tyler Bozak which is a cap hit of $3 million or so...obviously way too much is you've ever seen Bozak play compared to Sweatt. I think the biggest issue with him was actually his agent...he was talking a lot of smack on twitter and sounding like a 14 year old boy so Burke told him to take a hike and signed a better prospect in Mueller. Billy probably plays top 6 minutes in the AHL and in the NHL is likely a third liner playing an energy/secondary scoring role. Simply put, he's just too raw at this point to sign for the money he was looking for and considering his only true asset at this point is speed, he's a bit of a project. I don't know what Gillis signed him for but for his sake I hope it's not what he was looking for.
Could it be that he was asking for that money because he (gasp) knew he would become UFA in a few more weeks and likely have several suitors that he was more interested in joining? As hard as it is to believe, he may not have wanted to play for the Leafs organization unless they really really really made it worth his while. I know it's hard to believe a player not wanting to join the leafs but it does happen.

Personally this is a good signing for the canucks. It costs them nothing but money and the guy has to make the team and perform if any bonuses (we don't know what they are yet) are to be collected. Leaf fans can be happy at having Mueller the same things apply to him (no cost but money), but there is no need to run down Sweatt because he very well may not have wanted to play for them.

tantalum is offline   Reply With Quote