View Single Post
Old
08-20-2010, 09:44 AM
ruckus*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
good post.

while we agree that this team lacks 1st line talent, where we differ is this. i am a realist and thus, i will not try to create that talent from within when it just isnt there.

and it isnt.

heres what i see.

callahan- perfect 3rd line player. leader. hustle. grit. heart. smarts. 20 goals per year. can move up the lineup if needed, can play pp and pk. all around hockey player. future capt. really doesnt have high end offensive skills.

dubi- perfect 3rd line player. size. hustle. grit. heart. 20 goals per year. can move up the lineup if needed, can play pp and pk. all around hockey player. future asst capt. really doesnt have high end offensive skills.

not a big difference. other than the bolded parts.

while cally isnt a top offensive talent, sadly, neither is brandon.

and also, value isnt only scoring points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
I'm with offdacrossbar: if it really came down to one or the other, I'd rather keep Cally. When I think of Dubinsky, I think of a player who could be a very good 2nd-liner if he would be more consistent. When I think of Callahan, I think of a player who can influence the outcome of a game.

One of the things about Callahan is that, even from his position as a 2nd/3rd line winger, there are several games each season where he's actually the best Rangers player on the ice, and others where he is the best player in the game. On these occasions, the Rangers usually win.

Another thing is that the obsession with stats hurts the reputation of a guy like Callahan, because he can be highly influential in a game, without putting up any points.

A third thing about Callahan is how few mistakes he makes. He rarely commits a bonehead play, and you never, ever have to worry about him costing the team by being lazy on the ice.

I understand what you're saying ODC, and I think most of us agree there's no reason EITHER of these players should be moved.

My question to you both here though, is what can Cally do that Dubi can't?

I don't think we can assume that Dubi isn't a leader. Just because he doesn't have the A.

You might be able to argue Cally throws his body around more and is a better penalty killer. But it's not like Dubi can't kill penalties well.

And Dubi might not forecheck like a lunatic, but he uses his body so well in the offensive zone that he's far more valuable offensively than Cally and his stone hands.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote