View Single Post
08-20-2010, 07:12 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by BostonAJ View Post
I'm still on the fence about Paul Coffey. The cause and effect issue gets mentioned a lot regarding him, and I'm still on the fence as far as who was which. A great offensive defenseman that got to play with Gretzky, Lemieux, and then Yzerman and Fedorov.
Coffey was great. Yes, he had the fortune of playing with some of the best players ever, but he didn't just "come along for the ride", he was an important part of making those teams what they were. 5 seasons with 100+ points as a defenseman can't all be lying. If he were "mearly" on par with other great offensive D-men, he'd be hovering around 1 or 2 seasons like Leetch and all the other non-Orr D-men. He certainly wouldn't have broken some of Orr's records and nearly all his playoff records.

Coffey is, at least in my opinion, the 2nd greatest offensive Dman of all time. Only Orr was better at offense from that position. Of course, Orr was also better at defense, but that's not really part of this discussion (which shouldn't be about "is Coffey better than Orr", which we all know he wasn't, but whether or not Coffey was a great player on his own merit, which I'm sure most will agree he was).

shazariahl is offline   Reply With Quote