View Single Post
Old
04-18-2005, 12:04 AM
Gardebut30

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Crosby turned down the WHA when he thought he would be drafted and the uncertainty of the WHA to date ..

That was then and this is now .. Should the lockout continue and the WHA be an option Crosby may still reconsider that an option, along with Europe and the AHL ..

As and UFA it will be interesting to see ... RJ Umberger was a Pittsburgh boy and grew up with Pitts and Mario his fav team .. but when $$$ was on the table he chose Philly as a UFA as you remember ..

Crosby Fav team may be Montreal but if healthy he has lots of years ahead he never once said that he needs to play his whole career there lets say .. I could easily see a team like the NYR opening the vault and Montreal would be hard pressed to match Big City offers .. SO it will come down to Crosby and to date we have very few case where a player took less money to play for the team of his choice ..

Lindros to Toronto as a UFA might be just such a case ..
Umberger, as it stands now, does not hold the same value as Crosby over the course of a career. Aside from his contract, Crosby stands to make tons of money on endorsements, etc. I think he'd be more inclined to sign with his favorite team on a rookie contract, if available, than sign with another team for a couple more million. Crosby in Montreal would generate a lot of money for him and the city. Imagine the money on merchandise. Bringing up Umberger is not a very good comparison.

I may be proven wrong in the future, but I don't think P'burg fans will lose sleep over this one, if you are gonna compare it to Crosby/Montreal.