View Single Post
Old
04-18-2005, 12:14 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardebut30
Umberger, as it stands now, does not hold the same value as Crosby over the course of a career. Aside from his contract, Crosby stands to make tons of money on endorsements, etc. I think he'd be more inclined to sign with his favorite team on a rookie contract, if available, than sign with another team for a couple more million. Crosby in Montreal would generate a lot of money for him and the city. Imagine the money on merchandise. Bringing up Umberger is not a very good comparison.

I may be proven wrong in the future, but I don't think P'burg fans will lose sleep over this one, if you are gonna compare it to Crosby/Montreal.
It was just and example .. Why did you feel I had to pick a player equal to Crosby, which of cousre there may not be any if he turns out as expected .. I hate the Habs but would be the first to admit that If I was in charge of he league I would want to see Crosby end up in Canada where he is known well and particularly if it was his hometown .. Just like Gilbert Brule would be a good fit in Vancouver as a UFA and Leafs and Ottawa would have local Ontario boys Ryan and Benoit that would be good for the hometeams ..

Next year I would be similar and feel Phil Kessel would grow the game more in a USA market as a hero as everyone knows him ..