View Single Post
Old
08-22-2010, 01:01 PM
wholesickcrew

vCash: 500
Washington - Nashville - Vancouver

Hello Preds fans! I didn't see an armchair GM or off-season thread, so figured I would start a new one -- if this is a mistake, please forgive me.

There's been a fair amount of talk about a Fleischmann-Bieksa swap, and while both teams' fans seem to think it's fair value, Canucks fans aren't sure Fleischmann is what we need. This is due in part to cap space and in part to holes in our bottom six. However, I think there may be a way to make this work, namely via the always-elusive (how do you please three fan bases?) three-way trade.

To Washington: Kevin Bieksa
To Nashville: Tomas Fleischmann
To Vancouver: Joel Ward, Jerred Smithson

You get an instant boost to your offense in Fleischmann without taking on too much salary (a net gain of less than 400k). Jerred Smithson is, as I understand it, more expendable with the emergence of Spaling, while Joel Ward may be on his last year as well with other prospects working their way up.

Now, I'll admit I don't know Ward that well, or how highly you value him. I imagine it would be great to see him come out and perform the way he did (practically out of nowhere), but I figure giving him up could be worth Fleischmann.

One concern I could see you having is that Fleischmann is only signed for one year. Of course, both Ward and Smithson are up this coming year as well, so you could hopefully use some of the money that would go toward their raises toward that of Fleischmann's.

In the end, is there fair value here? Would you take Fleischmann at the cost of Ward and Smithson?

wholesickcrew is offline   Reply With Quote