View Single Post
Old
08-22-2010, 09:03 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by quoipourquoi View Post
And I find that Messier gets too little credit. 2nd All-Time in Points, didn't eat up Gordie Howe-type minutes, and completely elevated his game when he was the #1 center to the point that even without Art Ross Trophies, he was arguably as valuable as Mario Lemieux and maybe even more valuable than post-Oiler Gretzky. And where is he on HOH 100? Like... 22nd... well behind Lidstrom... who couldn't beat Pronger, Sakic, Forsberg, Thornton, St. Louis, or Theodore for a Hart nomination, let alone two outright wins.
Yeah I'm a big Messier supporter and I think 22nd is too low for him. As much as I love Messier I remember doing a poll a while back with Messier vs. Gretzky 1989-1999. Gretzky won, and should have so I wouldn't go that far in putting Messier ahead of him in that time frame but as crazy as it sounds I too think Mess can get underrated at times.

- Two Harts
- 6 Cups
- 7 trips to the final
- 1984, 1987, 1991 Canada Cup wins
- 2nd all-time in points
- 2nd all-time in playoff points
- captained two teams to the Cup
- 4 first team all-stars, one 2nd team all-stars

The guy brought it and while he was never shafted of a Selke he brought a two-way game and was superb on faceoffs. There aren't a lot of centers I have ahead of him other than the obvious ones. When it comes down to comparing Messier to Trottier or Clarke or Yzerman or even Sakic I rarely hesitate to pick Moose.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote