View Single Post
Old
08-24-2010, 04:10 AM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchild74 View Post
I know fully well how a "trap" system can operate under. The problem is that the trap was coined after the New Jersey Devils and believe me even you have to admit the Devils did not play like the Canadiens of the 70's.

What Lemaire did was take a style the Canadiens were playing when he was there under Bowman and turned into a system to slow down offensive teams and control the flow of the game and force teams to make mistakes.
Like I said....sigh.....you can employ the "trap" to create offense or stifle offense, it's all about how you use it and how you deploy it.
Bowman employed his to create offense from turnovers and gain puck possession in the neutral zone, attacking before the puck even cross center.
Lemaire backed it up and used it to stifle offense, reduce speed through the neutral zone but his trap would give you the redline before putting up his wall, forcing the other team to dump the puck in, giving up possession that way.
This really isn't rocket science man but if you need me to explain the left wing lock while I'm here, all you have to do is ask.

Quote:
There are many things that caused the "deadpuck era" I never said it was the trap alone I was just saying that the true sense of the term of trap was used by the Devils in the "dead puck era"
....and have I have before here and in other posts, "The Trap" is prolly the most over used and has the most unwarranted negatively attached to it than any other term in the history of hockey.

Quote:
Oh really so every single system that used a defenceman offensively. SO when Calgary was using Al MAcInnis's slap shot. Or when the Montreal Canadiens were putting Larry Robinson in front of the opposition's net to screen the goalie on the power play(which they did not do all the time but Bowman did do this from time to time as no one could move him) were all done because of Bobby Orr. No other defenceman or player had a powerful shot from the point until Orr right? Now any system that allowed a defenceman to take control of the play or jump into the play that is influenced primarily by Orr no question there.
Yes, every system in today's game accounts for the use of dmen in the offense.
Bringing up powerplay strategies serves no point what so ever in this conversation.

Quote:
I have never questioned Orr's influences. I have stated many times that he influenced hockey a lot. I was just trying to show that not everything was about Bobby Orr like you seemed to make it that way. Maybe it was becasue of what others said but it came across like it was Orr or nothing. My whole point about the European influence used by the Oilers was not all about what Orr did. That is all. I never said that Orr never influenced other defenceman or allowing defencemen to rush the puck. Only that not all systems utilize this because if you do not have a defenceman like him then it will not work that is all
Having a true rushing Dman doesn't matter, even the most conservative of defenders will not hesitate to jump into the play if it will create an odd man rush.
Something like this you take for granted in today's game but 40 years ago that same defender most likely would of gotten benched for it.
It's not that I don't think you understand that Orr did indeed change things, I just think that you don't fully comprehend the degree.

Quote:
He just might be but Gretzky's skill, vision, hockey sense and ability to do things no other ever did before or after, and most of all excellence for almost 20 years is another good package too
Indeed it was, best offensive player in history.

Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote