View Single Post
Old
08-24-2010, 05:16 AM
VMBM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgazoo View Post
If Orr was the best then why did this panel select Gretzky as number one in 1998?

The judges involved in making the selections for this list included writers, journalists, and broadcasters (Don Cherry, John Davidson, Milt Dunnell, Stan Fischler, Dick Irvin, Brian McFarlane, Bob McKenzie, Jim Matheson, Harry Neale, Frank Orr), as well as coaches, referees, general managers, and former players (Al Arbour, Scotty Bowman, Emile Francis, Howie Meeker, Scotty Morrison, Roger Neilson, Bud Poile, Sam Pollock, Marcel Pronovost, Billy Reay, Glen Sather, Harry Sinden, Red Storey).

Can anyone explain why a panel loaded with such hockey expertise would choose Gretzky over Orr?
Yes, I might be wrong but my guess is that these people saw both of them play

Then again, at least for me it's nearly impossible to look at a player and his career (longevity, numbers etc.) separately and just put the focus on "who is the best player you've ever seen", and at the end of the day, that's why I personally find it impossible to pick Orr... not that I know how these experts came to their own conclusions.

VMBM is offline   Reply With Quote