Flames have interest in Dubinsky and Carter
View Single Post
08-24-2010, 01:58 PM
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Originally Posted by
hey guys, newbie here but i've been reading this forum for a few weeks now and after seeing some of the comments in this thread i had to join.
Here's my take on the Calgary/NYR/PHI rumors.
The Rangers are in desperate need of top tier reliable defensemen. With the rumors of Redden's pending buyout (theoretically to make room for Stall) and the Rangers already flirting with salary cap i don't think they are left with too many options. Del Zotto played really well last year, but if Rangers fans are counting on him and Stall to carry this team...i hope they both can play 45mins a game because apart from those 2 guys the Rangers are VERY weak at D. The one thing Calgary has to offer is depth at defense, and plenty of the "stay at home" gritty d-men than the Rangers have none of. Luckily for Flames fans Glen Sather is famous for spending excessive amounts of money on old hockey players who are 3 years past their prime. Can anyone say Cory Sarich?
As far as Jeff Carter goes, yeah we all know his name has been thrown around in trade rumors for months now. But it's just a matter of time until Philly pulls the trigger. Like it or not, Jeff Carter will NOT be wearing a Flyers jersey to start the 2011 season. He's an RFA next year and with the Flyers dropping huge $$$ on long term deals with Briere, Richards, Timonen, Pronger, Hartnell, Meszaros, Carle and Coburn...Philly simply won't have the cap space to keep Carter next year and have enough money to resign Giroux, Carcillo and Leino. So, Philly fans...it's time to decide, trade Carter now or lose him for nothing.
That being said, I don't think Calgary has anything that Philly would want/need. So Jeff Carter will not be wearing the flaming C anytime soon.
First, welcome to the boards! Next:
- There are no rumors of buying out Redden, if anything he will be waived at the end of training camp and sent to Hartford.
- Rangers have a pretty good top 4 defense in Staal, Roszival, MDZ, and Girardi. McDonagh is expected to fight for a spot. If anything they could use a depth vet d-man for the last pairing. I'm not sold on Gilroy unless he's made huge strides in the offseason.
- The Rangers have room to re-sign Staal to a contract upwards of $5 million per year, if need be, with the summer cap. Then once Redden is waived they will be under the cap. Not to mention White will more then likely be waived as well unless he has a stellar training camp. That free's up $8.875 million in cap space.
- The one thing Sather has not done since the lockout is trade youth for over-priced aging Vets. He's actually turned down several deals where players like Callahan, Dubinsky, etc have been asked in return. He has been amazing in trades. They just need a co-general manager to handle the free agent signings, then the Rangers would be set.
- Rangers have Staal as a stay-at-home, shut down D-man. He is one of the top young blueliners in the NHL right now.
- And it's Staal, not Stall.
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by UAGoalieGuy