View Single Post
Old
08-24-2010, 05:23 PM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinWilson33 View Post
If Franson was as weak on D as you make him out to be then his plus/minus probably would of been a lot lower. Klein on the other hand had the worst plus/minus on the team. I personally feel more comfortable with Franson than Klein. I just see Klein make bad decisions way to much and I know im not the only one who notices. Franson does need to work on his skating I agree. And his D could use a bit of improvement. But I do think Klein is the weakest d-man we have on our roster this year.
Klein had a bad season and didn't meet the expectations I think the team had for him entering the year. However, you cannot compare Klein's plus/minus to Franson's due to the fact that Franson was the most protected player in the NHL last season...

Cody saw almost exclusively minutes against the opposition's bottom six forwards, didn't play on the PK, and was commonly pinned to the bench in the closing minutes of games where we were protecting leads.

On the other hand, Hamhuis and Klein were supposed to be our shutdown defensive pairing last season and saw heavy minutes against the opposition's top-six forwards, played on the PK, and were routinely on the ice defending late in games.

I expect Cody to grow this season and take on a larger role, but until he proves otherwise, he will still be coddled. On the other hand, by all indications Klein will again be given the opportunity to step into the No. 3 defensive role and one can only hope he too takes a step forward in his development.

Honestly though, entering training camp, among the candidates for the six spot...I think Ryan Parent has the most questions surrounding him and will need to prove himself throughout the year...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote