Thread: Bryan Trottier
View Single Post
Old
08-25-2010, 03:28 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Good points, about both how Toews is viewed...and the nature of internet "interaction". (The latter often being frustrating.)

I should have been clearer. Those who consider Toews "overrated" with almost no exceptions, point exclusively to his lesser point totals, in comparison to other players AND SIMULTANEOUSLY dimiss the other, multiple dimensions of his game that he brings to the ice nightly.

It's the terms of the discussion (about Toews) to which I was alluding.

And frankly, I do not consider such subjective. It's pretty basic stuff, if you ask me - if you evaluate a hockey player, you do so in his entirety, not just based on how many "home runs and RBIs" he registered.

It's the difference between having a hockey conversation and a fantasy league conversation. I'll admit, I come to this board for the former.
Not to hijack this Trottier thread, but we all know Toews has never scored more than 69 points in a season and while he isn't in Crosby or Ovechkin or even Malkin's league the truth is because of what else he brings to the table in terms of being a very flawless hockey player (reminds me of Keon in the way that he never seems to have a bad game even if he didn't have a GREAT game, or make glaring mistakes). Not to mention his uncanny knack at such a young age for scoring goals at the right time. Look at the Olympics, I nearly hit the roof when he scored the first goal in the Gold medal game and you got the feeling a guy like him would do that. And we all saw his 2010 playoffs. Bottom line is, the kid could play on my team anyday and I'll forgive him as a 22 year old for not scoring 70 points yet. That offense will come my friends.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote