Thread: Bryan Trottier
View Single Post
Old
08-25-2010, 04:41 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

vCash: 500
Trottier was a great player. HE was among the league elite for several years. Some people have criticized his early decline but he played in an era where players routinley had their best years done and over with by 28.

Players like Yzerman, Messier and Sakic have also had the benifit of extended carreers due to changes in personal training, equipment and advances in medicine.

On a 1980-2000 all-time team Trottier is my 3rd-4th Center. #1 and 2 go ofcourse to 99and 66, and depending on my mood that day, Lindros or Messier might bump him out of the #3 spot.

The point is he is an all-time elite player. One of the best all-round players in the game due to how effective he was on both sides of the puck.

As for his all-time ranking, I think after the top 10-15 it is really a matter of personal preference. The top 4 are set. There is are decent arguments for the order of 5-7, but after that it starts getting tough. Out of the 9000 or so players who have played the game at the highest level to be mentioned anywhere in the top 50 or 100 is a testiment as too how good theplayer must have been. Think of it this way; IF 9000 players have played in the NHL, being in the top 90 would put you in the top 1% of every player who has ever played. Trottier is in that 1% for sure!

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote