Thread: Bryan Trottier
View Single Post
Old
08-25-2010, 09:39 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
The reason that Lafleur was the toast of the NHL is because he was a top scorer, and he was flashy and exciting to watch. That doesn't necessarily mean he got better results in games than Trottier.
Oh boy, you know when you are in a debate and you hate going against a player you admire and respect? This is the case. I love Trottier and in his prime he was magnificent, case closed. But I think Lafleur was a little bit better than flashy and exciting. He was those things for sure, but he often never gets enough credit for his playmaking. We all know his goal scoring was pretty much the best in his era (gotta give Lafleur the edge over Trotts there obviously) but he was an elite playmaker. How many guys are responsible for pretty much singlehandidly getting a guy into the HHOF? This is Steve Shutt we are talking about.

Quote:
Trottier was as clutch as they come too. He scored a lot more than Lafleur during his 4 cup wins and added in all the physical and defensive play on top.
You have to also take into consideration that Trottier had an extra round of playoffs than Lafleur which started in 1980, the first year of the Isles dynasty. But in an overall ranking between the two players we can look at it this way. Where did they rank in playoff scoring in their 4 year dynasty?

Lafleur - 1, 1, 2, 3
Trottier - 1, 1, 3, (outside the top 10)

As far as being more central to that dynasty there is without a doubt no one more important than Lafleur hands down. While Trottier would likely get 2nd or 3rd at the worst (nothing wrong with that of course). I don't know, a prime vs. prime I still take the dominance of Lafleur

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote