Old
08-25-2010, 11:01 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLPacman67 View Post
Ha!

A situation could arise where 3 of the biggest sports leagues in North America could end up being on strike at the same time.

The soft cap idea is cool and all for big markets, but what it means is the league will likely turn into an NBA-like league, where about 8 teams are relevant year-in, year-out and the others hope they get a super star that makes their market relevant through the draft lottery.
I agree that it would turn into something similar to the NBA, but you also have to consider there are almost 3 times more players on a NHL roster than a NBA squad, meaning that it would take a greater effort from those 8 teams to corral all the best players, whereas in the NBA, we're talking of only a few players that move around between the best teams.

The hard cap should stay as it is, for the economic sake and survival of the league. A few tweaks here and there, but no soft cap, I agree it would be a recipe for disaster in the long run.

Anyway, Fehr is in for a surprise as I don't think Bettman and the board of governors are about to let their baby go. League-wide revenues have gone up close to 150% since the lockout. That's good for the owners, and the players.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote