View Single Post
Old
08-27-2010, 03:54 PM
PDX Coyotes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
Wellll....he might have a point though, as higher-end skates generally will provide more support.

Did you try several different skate models/manufacturers before purchasing this pair? (They could be perfect for you, its just a good idea to try several before buying)..
I'm sure more expensive skates are better, which is why they are more expensive. Let me put this into perspective: I'm 34 and started ice skating when I was 33... yep 1 whole year ago. Now, let's add that I'm a working-class stiff with a busy schedule, a wife, and two elementary age kids at home depending on me to win the bread. All of that comes way before hockey. Let's also throw in the fact that I play in a summer beer league, once a week (with no practices) with people who have never even skated before. What's that all add up to?
-No time for myself
-No money for myself
-No interest on spending the time or money that I don't have, worrying about trying to be a superstar in a beginner's beer league.

In my present situation, I could never justify even looking at $175+ skates, so I get to make the best of what I got, and what I got requires me to skip the 3rd eyelet. I was merely providing a quick tip to other new guys that may actually improve their game without having to spend a nickel on gear that they may not even use to its full potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
I have a VERY similar issue trying to find the right balance between tight enough for good support, and keeping them loose enough to be comfortable and avoiding tendon burn. I have to tie my skates several times before the open hockey/game starts until I find the "right" comfort level, which is why I wear out laces rather frequently.
I tried this too. I would lace em up, walk around, skate warmups, and end up re-tying them on the bench during the game. So far, with skipping one hole, I haven't had to do that once. It works for me, maybe it'll work for other people... but probably not for the elitists who are obviously better than I am because they own $400 skates... (not saying you are, btw)

PDX Coyotes is offline   Reply With Quote