View Single Post
Old
08-27-2010, 06:22 PM
redbull
Expect more

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
When Bossy and Lafleur shared each other's prime (3 years from 1977-'80) it is important to note that Lafleur outscored him considerably in those three years and was named 1st team all-star at RW all three times. Bossy was a 2nd teamer 2 times in that span. My eyes also tell me that with all due respect to Bossy (geez I hate going against the Isles greats out of respect) if we are to match up Lafleur's best 6 years vs. Bossy's that Guy comes out on top without much argument.
problem is, how do you choose to weigh the stats in those years?

bossy had five seasons where he had as many or more goals than Lafleur ever had.
bossy's role was as a goal scorer. That's what he was tasked with and what he was best at. At that level, he was better than Lafleur - just far less flashy.

Lafleur was much more dangerous offensively as far as my eyes saw. But if you choose stats alone, hard to argue. Even at 83 assists and 147 pts in 81-82, both more than Lafleur ever had.

When you start with league average scoring and ranking, it clouds the comparison because Bossy suffers from not JUST 99, but the impact 99 had on the entire game. The whole "league scoring is up" misses the point IMO. The players are the REASON WHY scoring is up. Gretzky DEFINED that era, he CREATED that era and everyone's scoring was up accordingly.

Again, wrong thread for this and definitely a close call either way. Two phenomenal hockey players - without a doubt.

Even as a Bossy fan it's hard to argue how great Lafleur was even though Bossy's goal scoring achievements, both statistically and in key defining moments, are impressive as hell.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote