View Single Post
Old
08-27-2010, 08:27 PM
MathMan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
No offense and I love Gionta, but Gionta doesn't have the net presence of Guerin.
He's still a guy who charges the net. You can't have two on a line and be effective. And he's effective there, not for screening, but for deflections and rebounds. Then there's the question of how much a net-crasher can do for a team whose main problem is spending too much time in the D zone. The Habs need some way to push and keep the puck in the O-zone, they're plenty good about putting it in once they get there and get some shots.

Gionta is a RW. Guerin is a RW. They're both RHS and I don't think either can realistically play LW. Either you split Gomez and Gionta, or you bump AKost to LW with Gomez and you play Guerin with Pleks. Those are the only two realistic ways of fitting Guerin in the top-6, and I don't think splitting Gomez and Gionta makes sense. I don't think that at this stage of his career, he's capable of handling the tough minutes and many defensive draws that Plekanec handles. And I think Guerin will make too much money to be Eller's regular RW... but if he signs cheap, I could see him there.

Although whether his skating can keep up is a worry.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote