View Single Post
Old
08-28-2010, 12:17 PM
HFNHL Commish

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to HFNHL Commish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueland89 View Post
I didn't think it was about stick control I thought the toilet paper roll was to help beginner learn to slide there hand. like when reaching for th puck hand moves up closer to the top of the shaft and so on...
It's a little bit of both. Where the stick control part comes in is that, when you really think about stickhandling, the top hand is supposed to be controlling the majority of the action. If you don't learn to loosen up the grip on your bottom hand, then you limit the range of motion in your top wrist. The toilet paper roll forces this on you. It doesn't work for everyone, but it's particularly useful for people (mostly Americans) who learned to play with their dominant hand as the bottom hand.

As for the golf ball being easier, it has less rolling resistance and moves faster on hard surfaces, which does make it valuable as an implement in dryland drills. But the smart hockey balls are also great, plus there's other stuff that works, too. Anything that varies drills and keeps them challenging and interesting is positive in my book.

HFNHL Commish is offline   Reply With Quote