Thread: Hockey Stop
View Single Post
Old
08-30-2010, 09:43 PM
noobman

vCash: 500
A guy at stick and puck the other day asked me to teach him the hockey stop... I felt kind of bad b/c I didn't know how to explain it.. but I think I was on the right track!

So the idea is to learn how to scrape the ice, then snowplow, then do the "T" stop (turn one foot, keep the other straight) before turning the back foot to make it a full hockey stop...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangersrule1 View Post
Alright ive been playing for 2 yrs. Im really good and my skating great but i have never been able to do a hockey stop. I could easily play Travel nd crap if i could stop. Anyone have any tips cause i am pretty much just anoyed at this point.
If you can't hockey stop, you can't play travel. Even if you learn how to hockey stop today, you'd have to spend a lot of time working on transitions before you could be a good enough skater for it. I'm not trying to put you down or be mean, I'm just being honest.

I have a friend who (still) insists that he would have played AAA if he started skating earlier.... he thinks he's an elite hockey player that's just handicapped because he can't do X, Y, and Z. After four seasons of ice hockey and six years of skating he still can't do crossovers, skate backwards, or do a hockey stop. He doesn't get any better because he thinks he's hot stuff... so he doesn't push himself out of his comfort zone or even attempt to learn how things are done.

With that being said, heed the advice from this thread and go work on it. You'll get it eventually, it just takes time. Also remember that you'll never stop properly if your skates are too loose around the ankles. If you hit the brakes and your skate is loose, you'll just do what's called "catching an edge" and go flying. I saw a kid in hockey school break his ankle because of that many years ago.

Another tip for the open skates: if you can, try to take up some space along the boards behind the goal line or in around center ice. Most of the skaters just go round and round in an oval along the boards and between the goal lines. By taking up that open space, you can practice your skating, stopping, and whatever else you need in both directions.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote