View Single Post
Old
08-31-2010, 10:36 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
I think you're right about the uncertainty with high schoolers. They'll often not be seen in the same light as a number of other prospects, since they're often playing (nationwide) in leagues including kids aged 14-18, which ultimately leads to a wide range of performance drop from the top players in a team to the benchwarmers. In addition, high schoolers often don't play much in a season, at least with their high school team - certainly in comparison to Candian brethren playing in juniors.

Nonetheless, I'd have to say that high school hockey in Minnesota is given the most respect in the eyes of the scouts. When looking at the past few years of drafting, kids who were taken coming out of high school, regardless of the round, would seem to have been coming predominantly from Minnesota. Off the top of my head, they seem to lead by a country mile. Even Minnesota high schoolers going top 40 would include no less than Bjugstad, Nelson, Leddy and Ness in recent years. Who was the last to go top ten, Wheeler? Okposo was already in the USHL when he was drafted...
It would be Brian Lee going 9th the year after Wheeler.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote