View Single Post
Old
08-31-2010, 01:27 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
The major reason that Briere should not be playing with Carter is simple. Carter does not need Briere to score goals.

Obviously playing with Carter will help anyone's stats. Give Carter the puck. Let Carter go down the ice and score. It's not a surprise that Briere's stats didnt go down playing with Carter. It's impossible for your stats to go down when you are playing with a natural goal scorer. But that does not mean you are maximizing Briere's value.

Briere would be better suited playing with players who need him on their line to score (ie, Leino). By doing that, Carter still scores his goals, but you also get more production from guys like Leino who wouldnt be producing if not for playing with a dynamic offensive player like Briere.

Briere is not hurt by playing with Carter, true, but his game is not being used effectively, and while that's not what Cartsiephan is saying, I think that may be what he means.

I do think putting Briere with Carter is pointless. I think putting any of the skill players with Carter is pointless. You just wont be utilizing the skill set that a skill player has if you dont allow him to have the puck on his stick.
So the Caps should take Backstrom off Ovechkin's line?

Briere is good for Carter... he puts some pace on his wing (someone that can keep up with him), as well as someone else that can control the puck (Carter did make some strides last year in giving up the puck and playing off of it). The entire offense was snakebit last year, and multiple people went through bad cold spells (Hartnell notably on that line).

Now, I don't have a problem with trying out the Briere line from the playoffs again... but that shouldn't be because there was something wrong with having him with Carter last year. However, I also would prefer Giroux in that spot anyway.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote