Thread: OT: Music
View Single Post
Old
09-01-2010, 08:36 AM
Dan-o16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
My favorites include The Tragically Hip, The Flaming Lips, Bob Dylan, Blind Melon, Dan Bern, Modest Mouse, Cold War Kids, Radiohead, Belle & Sebastian, Jack Johnson, Elliott Smith, Ani DiFranco, The Beach Boys, The Shins, The Beatles (of course), Ben Harper, The Black Keys, Jurassic 5, Cat Stevens, The Clash, David Bowie, Counting Crows, Jimi Hendrix, Marcy Playground and a bunch more.
I saw Dan Bern at the Winnipeg folk festival in 2000. I'm surprised nobody resurrected his 'Tiger Woods' given what's happened. For everyone else, it's pretty funny, give it a listen. What wasn't too long ago, but felt like another life, I volunteered/bartended at a DNC fundraiser at Housing Works (note - I was Housing Works volunteer, not a DNC volunteer). Bern made fun of everyone at that f'ing thing. You knew he was a screaming lefty, but he thought the party hacks were such pu****s.

Speaking of Winnipeg 2000 - if you like some of these guys, you should check out Peter Mulvey. No offense to Ben Harper, but Mulvey whoops his a** - he's one of the best live performers I've ever seen.

BTW Majormet - for a while I had a horseshoe on my door, and black cat on the floor. Still have the black cat, the horseshoe was construction paper. I bought tickets for me and my wife for 9/27 @ the Bowery Ballroom, and we scheduled the babysitter. It's my birthday present.

I credit Grand Prix, which I bought because I got a free copy of DGC Rarities (known for Counting Crow's 'Einstein on the Beach'), which had a TFC song on it ('Mad Dog 20/20'), for breaking the unfortunate hold that progressive rock had over me.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is online now   Reply With Quote