Thread: Hockey Stop
View Single Post
Old
09-01-2010, 10:15 AM
Defgarden

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
I can't stop for crap on my weak side. Something I should work on. Funnily enough, I have a hard time stopping on that same side when I attempt to snowboard (I'm still learning).
I had (and still have) the same problem, and posted a thread on it last week. I posted an article there towards the end of the thread that gives exercises on twisting your body (on skates of course) and deals with a lot of shifting of your center of gravity.

I thought this was key, because I started to notice that I was doing this all along when stopping on my left side. Once I realized what I was actually doing, it because much easier to stop on my right side. It's still not as good as my left, I can at least do it now, and will continue to practice to build my muscle memory.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Hockey-1547/Stopping.htm

Here's an excerpt...

"First of all, think safety. Do not practice skating towards the boards. Practice skating away from the boards or at least twice your body height distance skating parallel to the boards, in case you have a tumble. Second, your 'hockey stance' is important, so ensure your knees are bent, head up, back straight, leaning slightly forward, skates shoulder width apart. Now, third, the two foot hockey stop progression.
Exercise A. Knee Bends. Stand in the 'hockey stance', with your skates pointed toward a fixed point I will call north, then bend your knees lower about 5 inches and then come up. This is called unweighting yourself. This unweighting moves your centre of gravity upward. As you come upward, pivot yourself so your skates point to the west 90 degrees. Keep your skates shoulder width apart as you do this. Your edges on your skates can turn because you are 'unweighting' yourself moving upward slightly with the knee bend. This is similar to doing the 'twist'. Bend your knees again and then extend your legs to move upward enough to turn the skates north again. Repeat this stationary, turning to the east 90 degrees using the same method. After getting the hang of this, then go from east to west a full 180 degrees, bending and extending and bending again as you finish the movement.
Exercise B. Stride and Glide. Take three strides safely forward, glide on two skates and then bend your knees just as before, lowering your body, then extend your knees as you continue to glide forward. Slow down, and repeat the same lowering and raising several times. Only take a few strides. You are doing this to 'unweight' yourself while moving.
Exercise C. Stride, Glide and Slide.(the beginning of the hockey stop). Take three strides north as in Ex. B, glide on two skates, and then as you unweight yourself, turn you skates sideways to the west and slide sideways on the flat of the skates (do the twist to the west). You are trying to slide on the bottom edges, not stop on the inside edges yet. Repeat this to the east several times. As you get better at sliding try going faster with only three strides still and sliding for distance sideways. If you catch your leading skate edge and fall forwards your balance is off, and you need to stay above your edges.
Execise D. Stopping. Stride three strides and minimize the gliding time. Just extend your knees as you come up from the stride, and turn your skates to the west using the inside edge of the front skate and the outside edge of the back skate with the body turned 90 degrees. As you turn the 90 degrees, then lower your body weight by the knee bend and press the edges into the ice as you lean back bit. Repeat this several time in both directions. If you are weaker in one direction, practice that side twice as much. Your head is still watching where you are going as much as you can."

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote