View Single Post
Old
09-01-2010, 08:46 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haberdashery View Post
Hey thanks - nice to see another Habs fans out there who appreciate some underdogs like the Kinks.

They were banned from US radio from 1966 to 1970, then merely proceeded to put out several of the best rock albums in history that no one ever heard at the time, and I'm almost ashamed to say, I never heard much of until recently.

Mind you I have been playing their best albums constantly since hearing them in totality.... GVSP, Arthur, Something Else, Muswell Hillbillies, Face to Face......those albums compare to Who, Floyd, Stones and Beatles releases from that period if not surpass them (I think they're better personally)......Ray Davies was/is England's poet laureate as Pete Townsend once proclaimed.

I think Davies is the greatest English rock songwriter of all time, and that's saying a lot..... many of rock's greatest songwriters have come from Britain IMO, including his contemporaries Lennon and McCartney, Jagger, Jones and Richards, Barrett and Waters, etc. What set Ray apart from those guys is he penned pretty much every Kinks song, and still does to this day...Dave had a few songs, and some were pretty good, but at least 90 per cent of the songs were Ray's.

His wry sense of humour, melodies and English references have influenced pretty much every English rock band in the past 40 years, including in particular personal favourites XTC and The Jam...but there's all sorts of others...I hear lots of stuff from Kinks albums that has since been borrowed by more recent bands as well, including eerily similar songs or chord structures from bands like Oasis and Blur.

For anyone who likes 'British rock, or good rock period - you have to listen to those Kinks albums I mentioned above ...in particular VGPS, Arthur and Something Else....I implore you lol.
Hilarious you wrote this, I understand and agree with all of it. Me and a good musician friend really got into the Kinks a few years ago, especially the albums you mention. We have been preaching to anyone that will listen how underrated and fantastic they are, and have got many people we know into them, just great songs and songwriting.

And with respect to Cammy I also heard when he first signed that Burke offered more money but he chose Montreal.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote