View Single Post
Old
10-03-2003, 01:45 PM
Peter Griffin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown
Peter G. This does not open up roster spots. If the players where better than those lost they would already be here. Maybe its no great disaster losing Langdon and Baumgartner but it certainly is never a good thing to lose organizational depth. Why try unnecesssarily to find the silver lining. It was a loss poor and simple.
This definitely opens up at least one NHL roster spot IMO. With May re-signed and playing a regular shift and Burke stating that Grenier was going to see a handful of NHL action this year, Langdon was going to find it hard to see NHL action, quite possible only 10 games or so. At $500,000 and on a one-way contract he was wasting a roster spot that could've been better used as a call-up spot for players from the farm. Baumgartner's spot always the Canucks to use some of their younger players and give them a chance to play. I'm less pleased about losing Baumgartner as he was an ideal 8th d-man IMO(knew his role and accepted it. I'm glad he'll get a chance at regular NHL action with the Pens now!), but how can you argue that this doesn't open up a spot, as it cleary does! I see the loss in losing Baumgartner, that happens with teams with as much depth as the Canucks. But I really don't see the loss by losing Langdon. IMO, he wasn't going to see much NHL action anyway, why not use his spot to give some of the young guys NHL time?