View Single Post
Old
09-02-2010, 12:27 PM
zeroG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post
Another example of conflicting perspectives...I know some will remember...

The game where Stillman made a blind pass while fighting along the boards to the point, where McCabe moved from and the opponent moved to take the pass, move up ice, and end the game.

Most of you saw Stillman pass it straight to their guy, placing blame on him. I saw McCabe moving from where he should've been, where Stillman thought he was.
should've, schmould've. this game is not played stationary. sometimes there's a communication breakdown and a guy thinks he has a play but doesn't. the ice changes very quickly, mistakes happen all the time. i don't remember that particular play but maybe mccabe recognized it as a 2v1 up high and with the defensive F too high, thought he could cut to the net? that kinda stuff happens (though there are general rules coaches mention over and over again to help prevent those types of egregious breakdowns).

your diagram above really doesn't make any sense either. on a set breakout, a winger who has a support role would not vacate that spot to skate right into the forecheck. not unless the other forward was swinging to his spot and even that doesn't look like any type of real pattern as he would be skating right into a trap. lballard would have NO other play other than over to his partner. i think that's a bad example. in any case, these are not the types of plays i have issues with. if the puck makes it out of the zone, you at least get a reset. ballard too often was guilty of telegraphing his passes and having them intercepted in OUR end. we were keeping count here on the boards and there were at least a handful of games that turned on unforced turnovers by ballard. *at least*.

regarding your larger point, you have to keep in mind that many of us have been to hundreds of games and watched thousands of games on tv (some of us coach and play as well) and understand what's going on beyond the screen even when we don't see it.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote