View Single Post
Old
09-03-2010, 02:54 PM
Garbage Goal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Kovalchuks contract approved.

Devils look good on paper with Arnott, Parise, Kovalchuk, Volchenkov, Tallinder, Elias, Brodeur, Zajac, Clarkson. They have some talent.

Probably their best lineup since 95-99?
I don't think Arnott or Brodeur are big pluses. both of them are pretty far up there in age. Brodeur looked flat-out unimpressive last year despite his Jennings win and Arnott has had decreasing point totals the last three years and, if you look at his career, he always misses around 20 games, give or take about 10 and he's never PPG. So, Arnott is a decent secondary scorer, but not someone that's going to push you over the top into a contender.

I think they have a better backup this year, but I'm not scared of facing Brodeur at all anymore. I don't even think he's top five anymore.

They replaced Martin with Volchenkov and Tallinder. That makes their depth a bit better, but they don't have a number one d-man and they don't have any really talented offensive d-men. If they move Salvador to clear room for Kovalchuk then they replaced Martin and Salvador with Volchenkov and Tallinder. That's a down-grade.

We have to wait and see how Kovalchuk plays. During his NHL career he's never had to share the spotlight or buy into a system that made him rely on his teammates. I'm just interested if he's going to continue to be the one-dimensional player that he is and try to be the "Kovalchuk show" every time he's on the ice like last playoffs.

I think they're going to be regular season dynamos, per the usual, but I don't think they're contenders. They might actually get out of the first round this time, but they won't win anything I think.

Don't get me wrong, I think they have a core that could win them a championship down the road with this Kovalchuk signing, but I think they're quickly becoming the most overrated team for next year.

I mean, they're legendary starter is about to turn 39 and looked unimpressive last year. Couple that with the facts that they don't have a true number one d-man or a true number one center and I don't think they're an impressive team. The only things they have going for them are fantastic LW depth (what team tries to win by building through the wing?), a good farm system, and a good reputation.

Last edited by Garbage Goal: 09-03-2010 at 03:01 PM.