View Single Post
Old
09-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Joey

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Joey
I know many "well-off" audio engineers, both touring engineers and studio engineers. All of them...and yes..*all* of them say the same thing -- if you want to get into this field, a college or university or private school course, no matter how long, or how informative, will get you any closer. The money you pay for these courses is basically buying your contacts, but the contacts you receive are the same ones every body receives every school year. I have talked to dozens of graduates from a school in Ontario called OIART (which is the premier "audio engineering school" in Canada, by and large), and they all unanimously replied to my lengthy emails saying this school, albeit being the most informative and best in the country at what they teach, will get you almost no where closer to what you hope to achieve. The only ones who actually ended up with jobs in their fields became coffee fetchers and the like. Basically, the became the exact thing you'd become if you tried to get into the field WITHOUT the school degree/diploma/recognition.

The absolute best way to break into this field is to practice the craft on your own time, reading as many resources as you can on this wonderful thing called the internet, and almost most importantly -- getting your name to every possible person who is in the industry, high and low, and making it perfectly clear you'll do whatever they ask for a chance to hang around them while they do what they do. You have to be 100% skilled as a People Person for this to ever take off

I do not know if the Video Editing world works the same way, but I suspect since they work hand in hand within many of the industries they are involved it, I imagine it won't be too far off what all the audio engineers told me.

To "ChoseLa" who said google and forums and books won't make you video editor...you are dead wrong. Absolutely wrong. Dishing out $15-$25,000 for additional help from professionals may make you a little more comfortable on high-end gear, but practicing the craft on your own and receiving feedback from like-minded professionals via message boards is an infinitely valuable resource in the development of the skill.

To everyone interested in, at least, audio engineering, I would think very long and very hard about what you are prepared to do to make only minimum wage in this field. Thanks to the ease of home recording, the professional studios that used to make a lot of money, are now doing joke work to pay the bills. It's a dying industry, so be prepared to never find a satisfying job lead within this line of work after spending your $20k+...It is a distinct possibility

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote