View Single Post
Old
09-04-2010, 04:17 PM
Kritter471

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Were I am in Missouri, there are A, B and C leagues. A is your best players and it goes down from there. Players slot themselves. There are several former college and high-level junior players in A along with a couple elite adult learners, the majority of your "good" adult learners in B and a handful of good adults with the rest of us beginners in C.

In Texas, or at least in Dallas, it was A, B, C, D, and I. Same basic structure with one more level in the "letter leagues" and the addition of I, which is your lowest level and designed as an "instructional" league that has like... coaches and scheduled practices before you start your game schedule to introduce the fundamentals.

All the adult leagues in the States, at least, those that I know of, are no check because of liability issues. You don't know enough about the backgrounds of the players to know if it's safe to have a full check league. The amount of legal contact varies by referee and league. I'm sure there are exceptions in areas where hockey is a big-time youth sport and you've got the corresponding number of adults who played check hockey growing up.

ETA: Ampersand, if there's no evaluation day offered, I would start at the lowest division possible in your first season. It gives you the best opportunity for success, and it's likely where you belong with no organized ice experience (especially if you're signing up for a league in Canada - I've heard they can be brutally deep). If you're too good for that skill level, they'll let you know and move you up.

Last edited by Kritter471: 09-04-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote