Thread: OT: Music
View Single Post
Old
09-05-2010, 12:26 PM
VT Isles Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Kiss has been around forever, but besides 500 truck loads of crap with Kiss' logo on it, fireworks at their shows and crazy outfits & makeup, are they actually known for anything? Sure "Rock n Roll All Nite" is an iconic song, and thanks to Bill & Teds Excellent Adventure "God Gave Rock n Roll To You." "Calling Dr. Love" is another big song, but I'd be hardpressed to think of anything else. I didn't even know that "Detroit Rock City" was a hit song of theirs until I saw the movie of the same name (really fun move BTW).

Kiss is influential in their own ways. The marketing side of the business. But I've never met anyone who says that their favorite band, or even one of their top 20 favorite bands is Kiss. The ones who do say Kiss is one of or their #1 band, well those people are most likely collectors and have rooms dedicated to Kiss Lunchboxes and Kiss Toilet paper.
Gene Simmons could probably teach a marketing course at the college of his choosing with all the stuff he's been able to sell with a logo on it (including Kiss coffins). Kiss is probably seen more now as a novelty act, but they were huge in the mid-to-late 70s and 80s. Destroyer is probably their best overall album, several of their biggest hits (Rock N Roll All Night, Detroit Rock City & Beth) are on it.

VT Isles Fan is offline   Reply With Quote