Old
09-07-2010, 02:30 AM
West Coast Eagles
Classless

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobby View Post
Kovalev makes $5 million dollars.
You can get a top-tier player for $5 million dollars.

You conceded that he's had injury problems.
Would you be willing to hold on to that risk until he's 34?

BTW, he has 450 points in 543 regular season games. Not a PPG player.

Logic!
So he has roughly a 0.84 ppg average over his career but more importantly to me since the lockout he has been over a ppg when it matters most. His lack of output last year had a lot more to do with the lack of offensive support that he had than talent or injury, plus I think he is more suited to the style of play in the east. I did concede he had injury problems, would I be willing to take the risk? Not sure. I'm not really debating the the injury factor, more that Havlats contract is pretty reasonable for a UFA yet you say we can't commit to that. If you want to sign a top tier UFA at the end of the season the fact is you're going to have to commit to that player more if they are better, maybe even they are the same talent level. Like Fuhr said, every year people get excited about the upcoming UFA crop but half of them don't get there. I will be very surprised if you see anyone of Havlat's age and skill level Sign signing for a vastly cheaper contract unless it has a significant longer term and vice versa.