Thread: Line Combos: Michael Del Zotto
View Single Post
Old
09-07-2010, 12:31 PM
ColonialsHockey10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
MDZ's +/- stat is lunacy. It's so misleading.

I re-watched about a dozen or so games this summer.. MDZ, Gilroy, Anisimov, and Boyle were guys I tried to keep an eye on. I just don't understand how MDZ finished a -20.. I'm telling you, half those GA had nothing to do with his play. The more I (re)watched the more impressed I was with his defensive work.

1-on-1 he's solid. He knows how to keep forwards to the outside. He knows how to get leverage when he's getting physical. He's got good balance too...

The only area he needs to work on defensively, is just awareness. When teams are cycling down low on us and dmen need to switch off.. Or when there's an odd-man rush.. Instances like that is where I felt MDZ was green. Experience should remedy that aspect of his game though.

He has the smarts. There is a lot going on in that kids head when he's playing.

He's 10X superior to Gilroy defensively, despite their +/- difference.

MDZ's defensive work is underrated, imo.. He's not one-dimensional.

I still want to see a Staal-MDZ pairing at some point. Plenty of left-handed dmen have played on the right side (and vice-versa) so that shouldn't be an issue.
I would get a huge chuckle every time Del Zotto had a -3 game because he couldn't catch a break. He was usually in the right position making a good play, it was either his partner ****ing up, or forwards forgetting to backcheck.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote