View Single Post
Old
09-08-2010, 02:35 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
sigh. i'll continue to bite. i can't help myself, even tho i'm arguing with someone who called for a strategy that had an enforcer to play on the 1st line and stand in front of the net.
Oh come on! Because there's never been a successful tough guy up front???
I'll continue to argue, I mean debate, this one all day sir!

Quote:
the game is all about your positioning relative to teammates. it's called support. and it sounds like mccabe was playing off of that to try to create something. it's not a pinch, though, it's a cut - he wasn't trying to cut off an exit play, he was driving to the net. in a pinch situation, the weak side D usually pulls back to cover the middle but on the PP, you see Dmen cutting to the net all the time. it's usually from the weakside and not off a strong side 2v1 high, which it sounds like you are describing but they do it with nobody behind them. it's not wrong.
It wasn't an OT goal, it was a tying goal that led to the loss. I don't have the time to find it yet, but I will try to later for sure..it would definately help!
He didn't have support, his D partner and Stillman were tied up along the boards between blue line and top circle, the other two were loafing (one a few feet away on the boards and the other by the inner bottom of the circle), McCabe was the only one I remember to be anywhere near his side of the ice and as far back.
If I'm not mistaking, he started the cut while they were still fighting for the puck, and when he cut toward the net, the other guy picked up on it and got lucky.
With nobody to cover him, best case scenario is McCabe could've gotten lucky.

Quote:
i don't remember the play with mccabe. i'm going off of your description - stillman on the half wall and mccabe up top. that play (2v1 high) happens all the time on the PP. i can imagine a scenario where the defender overplays the high pass but doesn't take away the lane to the net and mccabe went for it. doesn't happen all the time but it's not wrong. show me the video and i'll reconsider.
When I find the vid, you'll see. I imagine in your described scenario, the defender would see if there's someone available to cover the point.

Quote:
but this is about ballard, and you can't blame teammates, *no matter what they did or didn't do* for ballard consistently turning the puck over exiting the zone. there's absolutely no way. regardless of how much your support ****s up, you have the responsibility to at least get a clear and that should always be possible using the glass or with a high lob into the neutral zone. ballard consistently made dumb plays trying to force the issue.
True AND untrue. If your teammates don't move to be open...
That's almost like saying a goalie can't blame anyone because he's the last line of defense. (Though I hate it, there's too much truth in that as well)
...but in a team game...
I'm not saying I haven't seen him put em off the other guy's shins, but not as consistently as you make it out to be, certainly not closer to being as emptyheaded as the other D-men on this team.

As for trying to force the issue, that may have been his downside. Not because he isn't smart as you say, but because he was trying to push those teammates to do something they couldn't do...create a strong rush with him. (Those plays- you're looking at him and saying 'what are you doing????'...I'm probably looking at the other guys in all areas (pictured and not pictured) saying 'what are you doing?? MOVE!!!!')
You see Ballard, puckhandler on tv usually letting view of 1/3 of the ice at a time, give it to someone and wonder why...and I can easily understand why...especially since you are left using your better hockey judgement to guess where ALL of his options were at the time of judgement...the problem with that is, there's no logic in the system DeBoer doesn't have and you can't guess where the off-camera guys(unseen options) are going to be, when they themselves don't even know where they're supposed to be!

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote