View Single Post
Old
09-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Booth View Post
It costs literally nothing to get airtime on a public access cable, like Comcast or Time Warner. All the team has to pay for is production costs. However, since AHL teams show games for advertisement purposes, these games are limited only to the people who are customers of that particular cable company. If you have DirecTv, Dish, Fios, or just rabbit ears, you are SOL. It costs a lot more to buy time on an OTA station or a satellite-delivered RSN, which is available, theoretically, to all households in that market. I would feel confident in saying that the Wolves spent more to have the 10 or so games on the OTA station than the 70 or so games on Comcast public access cable. But those games were available to a much wider audience. Meaning more people could possibly stumble across the game on TV, and maybe buy a ticket for a future game. Which is exactly why Lake Erie buys time on FSN Ohio and WUAB instead of doing a cable-only deal.
Are you saying that having less than 25% of your games available on TV is better than having all your games on TV, regardless of the outlet? Not sure how you justify that. You have far more opportunities to see a game if they are all broadcast (regular season and playoffs) versus a grand total of 19.

And do you know how many games the Wolves had on free (i.e. non-cable) TV?