View Single Post
Old
09-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Maybe, but I redefined them. If all a snap shot is a slap shot with a short windup, then it's a short windup slap shot.

Wrist shot - all the power comes from using the bottom hand as a lever, quick push-pull of the forearms whips the puck off the blade.

Slap shot - power comes mainly from loading the stick via backswing and weight transfer.

Snap shot - combination of the two, stick gets loaded via weight transfer but puck is released through forearm push-pull and wrist snapping.

With these definitions, there's no ambiguity in the instruction. If you're going to call the Cammalleri shot a short-windup wrist shot and the traditional wrist shot the long-windup wrist shot, that implies the shooting motion is similar, when it really isn't. The traditional wrist shot can be done with a 150 flex stick since you're barely using stick flex at all, while the modern wrist/snap shot required a stick with some whip so you can load it. That's why snappers really weren't around much until recently. Watch old game footage and 99% of shots were either slappers or wristers. When you have stiff wood sticks that are cut really short, those are your options. Now, we have composite sticks with built in flex and people are using sticks several inches longer so they can use the energy of the sticks for harder and quicker shots.

I REALLY need to make a video demonstrating this point, I haven't seen a good one yet.

BTW, I do have the Hull shooting video, and I really got some good things out of it, but I do have some problems with it. The snap shot described above has very little power unless you're using a very whippy stick for example. And they instruct you to take a slapshot with the backswing all the way up perpendicular to the ice!

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote