View Single Post
09-09-2010, 11:46 AM
Doing Nothing
vCash: 500
Finally, once again, the reason I defined the shots is not to sit here and call attention to myself, it's to work on them so I have a deadly shot and score goals.

If I don't know what a snap shot is, how do I work on it? I tried the Bobby Hull snapshot (by the way, he defines two different snapshots in the full DVD, calling one of them a "pro snapshot" and the other one is the short windup slapper linked above), it didn't do much for me.

The reason I separated the wrist from snap shot is to teach beginners the basics of shooting. Try getting someone who's new to hockey to execute a shot where they roll the puck from heel to toe while cupping the puck and snapping open then close the blade and transferring weight while trying to load the stick etc's impossible. You start with the basics...weight transfer and push-pull of the forearms. When that is down, you add the wrist snap component for better accuracy and increased velocity.

After that, there's no point in having the exaggerated puck from several feet behind the body. The snap shot is to be taken in motion, use the weight transfer and momentum you've generated through your natural skating stride. Just lean into the stick and rip the shot. Don't take a long windup, just rip it and go.

If you're not moving, you can't take a snap shot. You'll have no velocity. So you can either take one of those long windup wristers or a slap shot. They both have the same windup/release time, but the slapper has more velocity.

So at the end of the day, the wrist shot's only function is to be a learning tool for the snap and slap shot.

Unless you're in a no-slapper league I guess, then the old timey wrist shot can be useful.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote