View Single Post
Old
09-12-2010, 04:57 AM
Rick Deckard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Meltzer View Post
I disagree, Chris. I think he'd have been better off trying to reclaim the starting job with Notre Dame. If Johnson were to slump or get injured, Phillips would have had a shot to get the job back and run with it. You never know.

The Continental Hockey League is only a good career move if he has realized an NHL will never happen for him and his main goal now is to work his way up the minors to the ECHL and, eventually, a backup job in the AHL -- or alternatively, if he wants to play in the Euro league the caliber of the LM in France or the Italian circuit.

BTW, I don't think it's a guarantee that Phillips will start over Rosen with RGV, either.

In any case, Phillips really isn't a candidate for an NHL entry level contract -- not if he can't be an undisputed starter going into his senior college season, has been limited to 15 NCAA games over three years and already has had a major knee injury that cost him a full season.
It's worse than that. The CHL allows teams only 18 players under contract at the same time, two goaltenders and 16 skaters. RGV currently has three goaltenders under contract, Brad Phillips, Dan Rosen and Juliano Pagliero. Pagliero has been a starter for the last four seasons (Niagara and Aleghe) and should be the starter for RGV going into camp, Rosen and Phillips will battle for the backup spot. Phillips could be cut and unemployed in October.

His statsheet nonetheless: Brad Phillips