View Single Post
Old
10-03-2003, 06:25 PM
lecherous

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to lecherous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
I agree, and I've mentioned this before. Cu-Bro and Max aren't compatible on the same line. It's self-defeating as their strengths negate. I'd much rather see Dumont on the third line who is at least competent defensively. Of course this would break up the Hecht-Briere-Dumont "chemistry" but so be it. Maybe...

DRURY--BRIERE--SATAN
HECHT--CONNOLLY--KOTALIK
PYATT--BROWN--DUMONT
PETERS--MAIR--AFINOGENOV
I like it, except I'd rather see Max on the 2nd line instead of Connolly. I just don't think that Connolly is going to have this miraculous epiphany and suddenly realize his potential. If he can't get it after 4 seasons in the NHL, and is actually regressing, he's never going to get it, at least on this team. Everyone tries to bring up Bertuzzi, which isn't a valid argument. Everyone knows that power forwards take at least 4-5 years to develop...which Connolly isn't. But look at Brad Isbister. Very good parallel to Connolly, except Isbister can actually play the 3rd or 4th line while he waits to break through. Connolly's an all or nothing kind of player, and I'd have to assume that everyone in the originization is a bit fed up with him. I mean, you can never say who's going to break through and who's not. A good example of this is Craig Conroy. Never really got it together in St. Louis, but was a great fit for Calgary and practically tripled his point output. But the fact that Connolly has not changed his surroundings at all doesn't bode well for a rapid increase. In Buffalo, he's a 45-50 pt guy at best, who is a horrendous defensive liability and really has no other facet to his game than goals and assists. We need to make room for someone who's serious about playing the game, and can make a contribution to the team and not drag them down.