View Single Post
Old
09-13-2010, 01:30 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
I haven't been on the boards in a few days so I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

It was my junior year of high school and I walked in to my Criminal Justice class a little before 8 central time. I noticed the room was dark and the TV seemed to be on which really was nothing new. Before class started occasionally we would just watch ESPN or MTV or whatever someone wanted to watch. Of course as I walked in and no one was really talking I was like what's going on? I sat down and saw what it was and you have to remember no one at first instinct feels like they're watching anything as huge as it would turn out to be. I thought it was a little tiny private plane at first and I made some kind of snarky comment about "who gave this guy his pilot license?" Yeah yeah seems awful at the time but it was my first glance and in no way thought it would turn out the way it did.

My teacher was an ex-Metro cop who was watching with special interest because of his background and he immediately knew the country was in trouble. He wasn't making it known but he made a few subtle comments as we watched the TV endlessly for that hour and a half. Because our classes were so long, we were in first period while both of the towers collapsed and it was a very odd thing to witness and feel. The students and teacher alike were just openly in disbelief and swearing in open view of others in a high school classroom and nobody cared because it was everyone's feelings. It was strange because as you get older you tend to look at 15-17 year olds and they seem so young and immature, but on that morning those same kids were almost growing up just by watching what was going on. No one said much of anything. No one wanted to go to classes and it was for an actual, life-changing reason. My last class that day was Geometry at about 1:35 and our teacher I guess had decided that we had long enough to watch TV and we had to do some stuff but no one really cared. The kids just wanted to watch TV and know what was going on. It was a really weird day to say the least. I also remember playing tennis with my friend after school to try and take my mind off all that stuff, but as you could imagine right when I got home there was no escape from it.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote