Old
09-15-2010, 10:45 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
My problem is what happens to Powe/Kalinski/Nodl in the interim. Granted, players like them are a dime a dozen. But grooming them to step into Betts' role and keeping one or two of them with the team makes a hell of a lot more sense to me than giving that ice time to an old fart who isn't going to be around next season (God willing).

It's no different than picking up Matt ****ing Walker and giving him ice time over Bartulis. It's stupid, it's a waste of young, cheap talent, and all you're doing is stunting their development when Gawd knows the Flyers are going to need that cheap labour in the next couple of years.
When you are in a win now mind set (which the Flyers CLEARLY are), that is the complete opposite of what you want to do. That is what you want to do if you are building up to have that Cup contender team. When you have a Cup contender like we have now, I would rather have better players on the ice at all times rather than players that will be better in the future. Bartulis was a liability at points last season. Making him the 7th defenseman or sending him to the A is not a bad thing for this team. For his development, maybe. For the Flyers this season, no. Same thing with Powe. Yeah he is fast and forechecks and plays D, but guess what, so do a lot of other players on this team. He won't be missed this season. And if someone gets hurt, guess who gets called up or is unscratched (depending on if he is sent down, waived, or just healthy scratched, etc). Guerin is better than Powe, and all the other prospects that are potentially going to be called up. It may stunt their development, but if it makes this team better now, I'm ok with it. And for all we know, Guerin could come out at camp and blow it and not even make it (though that seems unlikely).

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote