View Single Post
Old
09-15-2010, 03:38 PM
Garbage Goal

vCash: 500
I'm just gonna post a quote from the trade forums to reflect my sentiment on Guerin.

Quote:
Yea, I understand the sentiment, I just don't agree with it. Doesn't make me right, I just think that goal scoring is the least of our worries (except for the gaping hole in net).

We aren't going to lose all that many goals (if any) going from Gagne to Zherdev, but we sure as hell downgraded in two-way play in that swap. Why downgrade any further defensively for a guy who scored 10 even strength goals last year playing alongside Crosby? Hell, regardless of whether or not he replaces Carcillo or Powe, it's still a reach to say it's much of an upgrade. Powe scored 9 even strength goals last year without Crosby's help, only 1 less than Guerin.

In the end, the Flyers are likely going to sign him. It's a typical Homer move and one that I'm sure is going to come to pass. And in the end, I'm not sure it makes one bit of real difference either way. Hence why I asked "what's the point"? It's the same question I asked when Shooter decided to sign Shelley and let Asham walk. "What's the point?" That question should just be the Flyers' slogan for this offseason.

I just don't see the need or upside of adding Guerin. If we lacked leadership and had a glaring need on the PP, then I'd be all for it, because Billy can be effective in those two areas. But yea, we don't lack in those areas, and this reeks of signing a player based on past accomplishments and the name he carries.

I like Guerin. He seems like a nice guy, and by all accounts, he is great in the locker room and teammates love him. That's all great and stuff, but the bottomline is whether or not he makes this team better, and I just don't see it. Others disagree, and we'll likely get to see it all play out very soon.
I just don't see the point in signing him. Powe, the Darroll Powe with hands of stone who received no real PP time last year and played on our lower lines, only managed one less ES goal then Guerin last year, who played with Crosby all year long and had ample PP time. I have no clue how that alone doesn't tell people something about Guerin. Carcillo score one more ES goal then Guerin while also not being in as an advantageous position as Guerin.

Signing Guerin would just seem like a marginal upgrade at it's best and a pain in our neck both cap-wise and in terms of play on the ice at the worst.

I just don't see the point in it at all. I also don't see any legitimate reasons that point to Guerin being an upgrade over Carcillo.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote