View Single Post
Old
09-15-2010, 03:58 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
How do you give management a "C-" when every other category has a higher grade and all of those categories are management's responsibility?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
You obviously aren't going to give people credit for what has been done as well.
... What's actually obvious here is that you're Lombardi's biggest fan and never going to look at him as anything but an excellent GM and the savior of the Kings, and that's fine -- honestly I don't care one way or the other, it's an exercise in futility to change people's minds and you're never going to think otherwise.

I didn't flunk Lombardi, in fact I've pointed out the good things he's done here. A lot of those good things, however, have come at the expense of the team absolutely sucking. Is it THAT hard for a GM to build a prospect base if all the team does is suck for the first three years he's there? Is it THAT hard to build the prospect base when he sacrifices talent he inherited (Cammalleri) in order to acquire prospects? How much credit do you want to give him? Even if he gets an A- or a B+ for building the prospect base (which is pretty damn generous if you ask me), he gets a D- or an F for the results that have actually been produced up to this point. His W-L record and his playoff record could change this coming season, and that's why I said all the grades could change, but the fact of the matter is that right now his record is absolutely terrible.

There was a critical goaltending issue last season, and Lombardi cared so much about it that he did nothing. He had a chance at a marquee free agent in this offseason, and he blew it. His key forward and key goaltender were already in the system when he got here, in fact 4 of his 6 best forwards (Kopitar, Brown, Stoll, Frolov) were either already here or acquired by trading what he already had here. His best defenseman was a no-brainer pick brought on by the team sucking. So, he deserves credit for their performance??? His free agent signings have shown more failures than successes. His trading record is average at best. Where is this supposed "higher grade" supposed to come from? His promises? His bashing of college hockey programs? What justifies a higher rating?

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote