View Single Post
Old
09-15-2010, 06:42 PM
beth

vCash: 500
I've been learning how to skate recently too, and I'm slowly adding the gear piece by piece. I fall ALL THE TIME. I wore my helmet from the get-go, and I'm glad I did because I've bonked my head at least twice already. Elbow pads were next, because one day I decided to work on backwards skating when the ice was all bumpy as heck and my elbows paid the price. Next I got shins, but they were too small and I need to take them back still. One thing I needed badly was wrist guards, because apparently I suck at falling and always seem to stick my hands down as my first reaction. So I just got some of those the other day. But it sounds like you've learned that lesson already! I'm going to get pants next, because I'm up to transitions, and that seems to be very conducive to falling on my ass.

Sometimes I feel like a total dork doing the public skate wearing protection. But then I fall hard and don't get hurt and it makes me feel less dorky. And I know I'm pushing myself to try new things because of the protection, so I will definitely recommend it for noobs. Especially adult noobs that fall farther and harder. If you don't get hurt, that means you'll be able to go to the rink more and get more practice in.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote