View Single Post
Old
10-03-2003, 10:44 PM
think-blue-

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan
Untrue. While Sakic prefers to not speak to the media, that is not the same as speaking to his teammates. Other players have said nothing but good things about him and if they are saying nothing but good things, well, he must be doing something to deserve that C. Of course, none of us hockey fans really know the truth since we've never been in the locker rooms during a game.
I agree with the latter part of your comment. There is no true way for us fans to completely 'judge' captains, especially label them as 'bad,' unless it becomes so apparent that they've done something wrong or don't have the respect of his teammates.

While there are certain factors, most notably on ice play (i.e. leading by example), I don't think its particularly easy to get a gadge of what goes on in the locker room, and what doesn't. There are so many ******** rumours out there today.

And personally, I will never put emphasis on judging a captain based on his ability to "take" his team to the promised land. Hockey is a team sport, and 20 odd some guys are equally accountable for wins and losses. A captain can only do so much. For that matter, so can a coach.