Old
09-17-2010, 12:07 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
The draft isn't to get those 3rd line players you can easily acquire through UFA or trade. It's to get the guys nobody wants to send you.
That's a key to it all IMHO.

Personally, I'm ok with the general idea that you blend everything, which includes probability of making it, character, grit, stuff like that, *along with* upside, and it's therefore perfectly fine if you take a Chipchura or Tinordi in the first round of the draft. Although at a certain point, it's got to be well worth revisiting that philosophy, especially in light of an evaluation of the organizations current assets and recent successes/failures.

The Habs seem to have a lot of solid/decent prospects, great depth in that sense. Maybe some would argue this, but Subban seems to be the only real "bluechip" prospect who we can somewhat realistically hope for some level of "stardom" out of.

Maybe going for the towering shutdown defender is good some years. Trading up to get it, instead of taking two swings at the fences this year in particular... well, I think it's clear the Habs *could have* drafted 2 players with those picks who would get the HFBoards hype-juices flowing a bit more in the years to come, anyway.

It's a fair question to ask, anyway. I don't feel like I have a strong opinion either way myself.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote