View Single Post
Old
09-18-2010, 12:10 PM
dcal64

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarhabfan View Post
So will have to be blind followers of a team? We cannot question the team's drafting? Would you apply this same philosophy to our government?

I believe our drafting has been horrendous, hence the need for a rebuild via the UFA route last season. Practically every team has gotten a great player in the first round in the last 10-20 years. We have not. All we have to show for it is a couple of borderline players and question marks. When was the last time the Habs drafted someone that was capable of scoring 80 to 90 points a season, what I would call an elite level talent? The only players that come to mind are Stephane Richer, drafted 29th overall in 84 and John LeClair, drafted 33rd overall in 87. We are literally talking about a quarter century here.

Does anyone remember the last time we drafted a player that scored 100 points in the NHL? We have to go back to the Iranian Hostage crisis and before the Canadian Charter of Rights. The year was 1979, the player Mats Naslund. He scored his 110 points in 1986, a year where Bon Jovi was Givin' Love a Bad Name and Brian Mulroney was making a bad name for himself.

I laid on the hyperbole a bit thick but it was necessary.
It's hard to draft players that score 100 points without having the benefit of a top 3 pick, unfortunately Montreal has not had any top 3 picks in the last 10 years.

Please list 100 point players Montreal actually passed over in a draft while Timmins was head scout, I am willing to bet there are not that many.

dcal64 is offline   Reply With Quote