09-19-2010, 08:08 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski17 View Post
Overpay much?
So do we want to keep Gill or not? Based on last year's playoff, he's a $3M player on the open market. I don't think there should be any doubt whatsoever of that. The coming year might bring him back to down to earth. I'm not sure we should *hope* for that though!

I mean, I'd really prefer to give up my notions of him as a pylonesque big guy who has his bottom-6 PK specialty and not much else, who gets a $2.25M contract... and replace him with a $3M elite shot-blocking shut-down stud who can play a significant role in keeping the Crosbys, Malkins, and Ovechkins of the NHL off the scoresheet when it matters most. And plays a significant leadership role on the team.

The reality may be somewhere in between. Who knows at this point. I have my doubts too. But I think as fans we should hope for the best. And if the best means the Molsons pay an extra $1M to him, I'm not too worried about that. I'd want to keep that $1M in my budget for now, until I see if that's where Gill's market value still is at 6-8 months from now.

Because it IS there right now. Don't fool yourself. He's a $3M defenseman today. Tomorrow's another day. And there are factors even external to Gill's performance which can affect what we might want to allocate for him. But I'd pencil him in for now, and at his what-has-he-done-for-us-lately valuation.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote